Plan of the city, 1842. Pen-and-ink, water-colour.
THE ROLE OF THE WAR MINISTRY
Group of soldiers on the west facade.
lthough it no longer had any military or strategic role in the city,
the army maintained a garrison in the castle. It regularly carried
out repairs, or rather, partial reconstruction of the crumbling sections
of the fortifications, leaving themselves open to strong criticism
from local intellectuals. From 1850 the Engineers limited themselves
to working on the outer wall while the Ministère des Beaux-Arts (Ministry
of Fine Arts) was more specifically entrusted with the restoration
work on the inner rampart. But, because of insufficient funding for
"artistic restoration work" the army handed over its role in the management
and maintenance of the fortifications to the civil authorities. It
finally agreed, in 1918 to leave the stronghold, thus breaking its
last link with a monument to whose preservation it had made a very