The Count's Castle buildings constructed against the inner wall in the XIIth Century.
THE CASTLE IN ROMAN TIMES
The castle's Roman keep: painted mural from the end of the XIIth Century-beginning of the XIIIth Century, representing knights in combat.
n the early XIIth Century Viscount
Bernard Aton Trencavel started construction of
a new residence intended to replace the primitive castle that
historic tradition locates on the site of the Narbonne Gate
The palatium, as it was called, was built on the eastern extremity of the rocky outcrop and backed on to the ancient wall and three of its towers which were heightened at that time. The residence consisted of two main groups of buildings at right angles dominated by a square keep. The single, upper floor had a crenellated parapet whose vestiges can still be made out in the masonry. About 1150, the north side of the building was finished with the construction of a castle chapel dedicated to Mary. The remains of the chapel's apse are preserved today. The residence was laid out around a central court, which was no doubt enclosed on the east side by a light fence or palisade.