View of the outer wall, east facade with the Peyre Tower (on left).
between 1228 and 1245 to surround the ancient ramparts following
the creation of the royal seneschalsy
the 1,600 m. outer wall runs round the perimeter of the hill.
It is divided into sections by 3 barbicans,
2 watch towers
and 14 circular towers most of which are open
at the back so that enemies couldn't take refuge in them.
This line of fortifications was completed with a dry ditch which
ran around its walls except on the sides where the steep terrain
formed a natural protection. The bond
construction, composed of evenly cut sandstone blocks is topped
with narrow loopholes for firing crossbows.
at the base of the crenellations indicate the placement of the
which could be quickly erected in the event of war.