Cl. Philippe Berthé © CNMHS, Paris.  
The Aude Barbican
covert way.
Reconstitution : Ecole d'architecture de Charenton
 uilt on the right bank of the Aude when the second line of fortification was created (between 1228 and 1239), the big barbican was an advanced post on the east side of the city. It was destroyed in 1816 but the covert way protected by high, crenellated walls, continues to evoke the link between it and the outer wall as well as the east entrance to the castle. In 1854, the architect and restorer, Eugène Viollet-le-Duc, was commissioned by the municipality to build the Saint-Gimer Church on the site of the barbican.

Ecole d'architecture du Val-de-Marne (Val-de-Marne school of architecture)
Reconstruction of the Aude Barbican.


 Outer Wall
 Vade Tower
 The Aude Barbican
 The Lists
Reconstruction of the Aude Barbican
Drawing, E. Viollet-le-Duc
  «Dictionnaire raisonné de l'architecture française du XIe au XVIe siècle», Paris 1868