The Aude Gate and west elevation of the Count's Castle.
THE RESTORATION WORK
THE WEST FORTIFICATIONS
The restored Bishop's Tower. Viollet-le-Duc, January 15 1853, pen-and-ink, wash, water-colour.
on Viollet-le-Duc's 1853 plans and estimate, restoration work
on the fortifications was begun on the part most visible from
the Saint-Louis Bastide - the west facade of the inner rampart.
Five years later, six towers and their curtain walls were finished
between the Justice Tower and the Mipadre Tower. The military
engineers worked on the corresponding section of the outer wall.
The west facade around 1876. Photographed by Médéric Mieusement.