Coll. Geneviève Viollet-le-Duc. Cl. Philippe Berthé © CNMHS, Paris.  
The Marquière Tower
and the Rodez Gate
Médiathèque du Patrimoine. Cl. Philippe Berthé © CNMHS, Paris.
The Marquière Tower.
  n his archaeological research, Viollet-le-Duc paid particular attention to the proposals for restoration of the towers on the north facade, which he called the "tours wisigothes" (Visigoth towers), and which, in fact, corresponded to the towers from the end of the Roman era. He envisaged two restored finishes depending on the two different periods: flat roofs covered by Roman tiles to illustrate the original state, or steep slate roofs for the state at the end of the XIIIth Century. During the restoration work, Viollet-le-Duc decided to reproduce the steep roofs so that they would be consistent with the lines of the fortress as it was in the royal era. From 1872 till his death in 1879, he kept to this idea in the restoration of the Moulin du Connétable, Vieulas and Marquière Towers.
In February 1883, his successor Paul Boeswillwald made an inventory of the progress of the restoration work: "The work had reached the following stage : approaching from the south, from the Aude Gate to the Narbonnaise Gate the upper wall was restored up to the Balthazar Tower, no 48; the Narbonnaise Gate was roofed as were towers 21 to 24 on the north side beyond that gate. Restoration of tower 25 was underway. On the outer wall, the towers and curtain walls 9 to 16, the barbican in front of the Narbonne Gate, the fort defending it, and 12 to 20 metres of the curtain wall to the right and left have been restored".

Coll. Pierre Sarraute. Cl. Valérie Rousset.
The north facade before restoration, photographed by Léopold


 Chronology of work under
 Viollet-le-Duc and his
 successor Paul Boeswillwald
 The old Saint-Nazaire
 Saint-Celse Cathedral
 The Narbonne Gate
 The Saint-Nazaire Gate
 The West Fortifications
 The North Fortifications
 The Restoration Site
 After the Death of
 Viollet-le-Duc :
 Paul Boeswillwald