Médiathèque du Patrimoine. Cl. Philippe Berthé © CNMHS, Paris.   
Restoration site, Saint-Louis Barbican. Around 1872.
Cl. Jean-Louis Bernad / Archives départementales de l'Aude.
Hoisting engine, photographed by Léopold Verguet.
 he work which was interrupted during the winter, was supervised on site by Guiraud Cals from Carcassonne, Viollet-le-Duc's assistant and the project inspector. The responsibility for the restoration work rested effectively on his shoulders. The architect came to Carcassonne once a year, usually in June or July, gave his orders and, when he left, gave enough details for the work in progress while other questions were dealt with in correspondence between the inspector and the Parisian architect. The work was put in the hands of local companies such as that of Jean Magné, as well as to specialised artists: sculptors and stone-cutters (Nelli, Perrin, Sage, Dubois…), blacksmiths, master glassworkers (Fourniol, Cambey). The blocks of sandstone for the restoration of the ramparts and towers were taken from local quarries while the slate for the roofs came from the Montagne Noire.


 Chronology of work under
 Viollet-le-Duc and his
 successor Paul Boeswillwald
 The old Saint-Nazaire
 Saint-Celse Cathedral
 The Narbonne Gate
 The Saint-Nazaire Gate
 The West Fortifications
 The North Fortifications
 The Restoration Site
 After the Death of
 Viollet-le-Duc :
 Paul Boeswillwald
  Hoisting engine and scaffolding on the east curtain wall of the castle, 1909 (detail).
  Coll. château de la cité. Archives photographiques des Monuments historiques. Cl.  Valérie Rousset.