The Saint-Nazaire Gate from the south. In the middle of the photograph, the Saint-Martin Tower.
THE SAINT-NAZAIRE GATE
are only two square towers in the fortress: the
Bishop's Tower and the Saint-Nazaire Tower. The
door in the latter controlled access to the town from the south.
The entire structure, in ruins, was partially rebuilt by Eugène
Viollet-le-Duc, between 1864 and 1866. Its double opening, protected
and heavy wooden doors encloses an angled passage designed to
impede the action of a battering