Section of the inner wall between the castle and the Aude Gate (in the foreground).
THE AUDE GATE
Aude Gate, the main entrance to the walled city from the bastide
is situated on the west face close to the castle. Cut into the
wall, like the Rodez Gate in the north, it is armed with a bartizan.
Its defense is completed by a military system composed of an
outer gate reached by a covered passage protected by merlons.
This passageway was originally dominated by a barbican
which stood on the right bank of the river till 1816. The town
of Carcassonne decided to have the Saint-Gimer Church built
on the site and engaged Eugène Viollet-le-Duc in 1854 to draw
up the plans and oversee construction.